About the Program
Crime and criminal justice are at the forefront of national policy and practice. The increasing emphasis on professional preparation in criminal justice careers places additional academic demands on the in-service professional. To meet this need, Georgia State University’s Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology offers both a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science degree in criminal justice, as well as a Doctorate of Philosophy in Criminal Justice and Criminology.
Career opportunities for graduates of the master’s program in criminal justice are numerous, diverse, and rewarding. GSU graduates have found employment at the following: FBI, ATF, GBI, EPA, Secret Service, numerous local and state law enforcement and correctional agencies, probation and parole agencies, juvenile justice agencies, and the research branches of federal, state, and local agencies.
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Priority Deadline - February 15
Regular Deadline - April 1
Late Deadline - June 1
|Regular Deadline - October 1
Late Deadline - November 1
*Online applications must be submitted and all materials received by the deadline to be reviewed for admission.
Applicants who want to apply for spring or fall 2018 will be able to start their application in August. Please complete the information request form to be notified when the application is open.
All applicants must apply and submit all materials online.
A completed application includes:
- Submitted Online Application. All online applications must be submitted by the deadline. Paper applications are not available.
- Application fee: A nonrefundable fee of $50 is required for each application. This fee must be paid online by credit card.
- Goal statement: The goal statement is your means of presenting yourself to the Graduate Admissions Committee. You should submit a short typed statement of personal and professional goals as they relate to the certificate or degree program you are seeking. Most applicants write approximately two typed pages, summarizing their work experience, the reasons they have chosen the program, why they want to attend Georgia State, and how the degree fits in with their career goals.
- Official GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores: Official scores must be reported to institution code 5251. More information can be found at our Admissions FAQ page or, to schedule the test, at www.gre.org.
- TOEFL or IELTS Academic scores (International applicants only): All international applicants are required to submit official TOEFL or IELTS Academic scores.
- Three letters of recommendation: All letters should be submitted through the online application. If not submitted online, letters must be in sealed envelopes from recommender and sent to the Admissions Office address.
- Copies of Official Transcripts from each post-secondary college/university attended:
- Official transcripts are not required at this stage of application review.**
- Transcripts should be uploaded to the Educational Information section of the online application and must be copies of university transcripts. This can either be an official electronic transcript, or a paper copy that you have scanned and uploaded.
- Copy of transcript must have one or more of the following features: registrar’s seal, registrar signature, or watermark of the institution.
- Documents such as self-printed academic histories, web-based academic evaluations, and anything hand-written are not acceptable for review process and should not be uploaded. Doing so will significantly delay the review of your application.
- Submit one copy of transcript for each post-secondary institution attended, regardless of length of time you attended, your status, whether grades are listed, or where your final degree(s) were received. This would include community colleges, study abroad programs and AP credit. If you received college level credit, a transcript should be submitted for review.
**Official transcripts will only be required if an applicant is admitted to the program.
If you issues with your online application, please email GradAYS@gsu.edu.
Learn more about our Master of Science in Criminal Justice in the GSU Catalog:Degree Requirements
Master of Science in Criminal Justice Forms
- CRJU MS Program of Study Form excel file
- Change of Program
- Masters Directed Readings/ Independent Study Form-fillable
- Thesis Committee Appointment
- Thesis Application
- Approval of Thesis Proposal
- Result of Thesis Defense
For help with your career direction, contact AYSPS Career Services. Attend our frequent workshops or work one-on-one with a career counselor to optimize your job search.
Talk to an Advisor
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer graduate assistantships to non-criminal justice majors? Or students outside your degree program (i.e. biology masters student)
The Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology only offers assistantships to criminal justice majors. However, feel free to check with other departments to see if they have any job openings. For other departments in the Andrew Young School, here's a link to where jobs are posted: https://idp.gsu.edu/oxauth/login?response_type=code+id_token&scope=openid+profile+address+email+user_name&nonce=nonce&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fidp.gsu.edu%2Fidp%2Fauth-code.jsp&client_id=%40!DA85.5F98.95A1.CA3B!0001!90C1.DE4F!0008!0135.5587
In addition, here's a link to the scholarship webpage where you can look-up and apply to scholarships at GSU: https://app.gsu.edu/scholarships/search_scholarships.cfm
You should visit GSU's Scholarship Resource Center located in Sparks Hall, Room 251 to see what other scholarships are available to students. Staff members are on site to help students search and apply for scholarships. The street address is 30 Gilmer Street, Atlanta, GA 30303.
Also, you can visit the One Stop Shop in 227 Sparks Hall to discuss other forms of financial aid that you might be eligible for.
What career paths can I take with a Master’s of Science in Criminal Justice?
Alumni who hold our masters degrees work in critical leadership roles in public safety, nonprofit, social service, legal and business organizations.