Degrees & Majors
The Andrew Young School’s strong course work provides students the skills and knowledge needed to address the tough problems facing communities, government and nonprofit agencies.
The information shared here is intended to provide an overview of Georgia State University’s offerings. For official details on admissions requirements, tuition, courses and more please refer to the university catalogs.
- Policy analysis and program evaluation: How can we predict the consequences of our policy choices? What values should drive those choices? How can we determine which government and nonprofit programs work – producing benefits that exceed their costs?
- Public budgeting and finance: How can governments raise the funds necessary to provide public services in as equitable a manner as possible without impeding economic growth? How should and do governments decide which services and programs to fund? How can taxes achieve socially desirable goals?
- Public and nonprofit management: How should functions be divided among the governmental, nonprofit and for-profit sectors? How should managers allocate financial and human resources to meet public needs? How should managers balance equity and efficiency claims?
- Urban and regional planning and development: How can we assess and evaluate the complex and dynamic context and forces that shape the growth of cities, communities and regions? What strategies can be employed to promote equitable and sustainable development? What roles do systems (for example, transportation, housing) play in creating the environments and communities we desire?
- You will have a foundation for understanding human behavior in a variety of different contexts and social settings.
- You will practice methods for intervention with individuals, families, groups, communities and organizations, and systems.
- The curriculum is designed to develop your skill in:
- critical thinking and ethics
- intervention approaches with diverse populations
- understanding of human functioning and the social environment
- practice evaluation and research.