A completed application includes:
- Submitted Online Application. Online applications must be submitted by the deadline. Paper applications are not available.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable fee of $50 is required for each application. This fee must be paid online by credit card.
- Statement of Professional and Academic Goals: In two- to three pages, address the following topics in an essay: academic goals, field(s) of interest, how GSU’s program will contribute to achieving these goals.Specifically, please address:
1. Your career goals and main research interests and how these interests align with our faculty
2. The relevant research, course work, and/or work experience that has prepared you to complete a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice and Criminology at Georgia State University
3. How completing a Ph.D. In Criminal Justice and Criminology at Georgia State University help you achieve your long-term goals
4. Challenges you have faced achieving your academic goals to date and how you overcame them.
5. Your strengths that have contributed to your research, academic, and/or work success
6. Weaknesses or areas of growth that you want to address
7. Your views of diversity and inclusion as goals in graduate education
- Academic Paper/Writing Sample: Single-authored writing sample that demonstrates the applicant’s writing ability. Examples include a chapter from the applicant’s thesis or a paper written for course credit. The paper submitted should not be longer than 35 double-spaced pages.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Systems) Academic scores (International applicants only): International applicants are required to submit official TOEFL or IELTS academic scores.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation should be submitted through the online application. At least two of these letters should be from current or former college instructors/professors who can describe the applicant’s academic ability and assess readiness for the Ph.D. in Criminal Justice and Criminology degree program at GSU.
- Upload Transcripts from each Post-secondary College/University Attended:
- Upload each transcript to the Academic History section of the online application before submitting your application or upload to your application status page under the Upload Materials section if your application has been submitted.
- Review requirements for submitting transcripts here.
- Failure to follow these requirements will delay your application processing.