The faculty, research associates and students (FRAS) of the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies (AYS), Georgia State University (GSU), are committed to disseminating their research and scholarship as widely as possible.
In keeping with this commitment, AYSPS has adopted an Open Access Policy and invites all of its researchers and students to opt-in.
We invite you to review the full policy and then fill out the form on this page to opt in.
The faculty, research associates and students (FRAS) of the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies (AYS), Georgia State University (GSU), are committed to disseminating their research and scholarship as widely as possible. In keeping with this commitment, AYSPS adopts the following policy:
- Each FRAS has the option to opt-in to the AYSPS Open Access Policy.
- For those members who opt-in: o Each FRAS member grants to GSU permission to make available their scholarly articles and to exercise the copyright in those articles. More specifically, each FRAS member grants to AYS a nonexclusive, irrevocable, worldwide license to exercise any and all rights under copyright relating to each of their scholarly articles, in any medium, provided that the articles are not sold for a profit, and to authorize others to do the same.
- The policy applies to all scholarly articles authored or co-authored while the person is a member of the FRAS of AYS, except for any articles completed before the adoption of this policy and any articles for which the FRAS member entered into an incompatible licensing or assignment agreement before the adoption of this policy.
- The Dean’s Office will make the scholarly writing available to the public in an open access repository.
- The Dean’s Office will be responsible for interpreting this policy, resolving disputes concerning its interpretation and application, and recommending changes to the FRAS if necessary. The policy will be thoroughly reviewed after three years, and a report on its implementation and impact will be presented to the FRAS.
How to Opt-In
The implementation of the policy will occur in an opt-in format as follows (which is similar to current practice):
- Submit your article to whatever journal you choose.
- Wait for the usual review process to unfold.
- If your article is accepted for publication, email the following to the editor:
- “Dear editor: My college has non-exclusive rights to deposit my accepted article in its open access repository: scholarworks.gsu.edu/. This requirement can be waived upon your request.” (An alternative is to include this statement in the initial letter to the editor, as part of your submission.)
- If the editor does not respond or confirms it is ok, submit your article to the repository using the online submission form. Shortly after, the work will be publicly available on the repository and will be publicized through AYSPS’ website and newsletters.
- If the editor responds that they do not support immediate deposit of the publication in our open access repository (i.e., an embargo period), you still should submit your article to the repository using that form. However, mention the embargo request in “Submission Comments” box. This will notify the librarian to embargo the work for the appropriate length of time. After the embargo ends, the work will be publicly available on the repository.